Instructions for the 2011
Please read these instructions before beginning the application.
The Swim will take place on Friday, August 5th .
Check-in will be at the
All applicants must be at least 16 years old.
There will be no more than 100 swimmers accepted. Registration will be closed when we reach this number, or on July 8 regardless of the number registered.
Only completed applications will secure a berth. An application is complete when both swimmer and kayaker forms and $100 are received.
Eligibility: Any swimmer and kayaker 16 years or older with the ability to safely complete the 5.25 mile course. See below.
Filling out the Application
1. Fill out the application ON LINE, then print and sign, include $100 fee and send to the Brightwaters P.O. address listed below. If you must complete the form by hand, please print legibly!
2. If you and your kayaker are applying separately, each must fill out the application ON LINE, print and sign, and cross-reference one another on the form. The $100 fee is for BOTH the swimmer and the kayaker so only one need include it in the application! The $100 entrance fee will cover the expenses of running the swim.
There are no sponsorship requirements, but we suggest a minimum sponsorship level of $500 per swimmer.
1. If you wish to place your kayak on the FI Ferry you must indicate this on the application. The ferry can only accommodate 50 kayaks so it will be on a first come basis. Inflatable kayaks will not be allowed, due to past experience.
Drop off for kayaks using the ferry for transport will be on
Thursday, August 4 between
and at the Ocean Beach Terminal,
3. Permission has been granted by the Parks Department for the day of the Swim for drop-off at the turn around at Robert Moses just east of Field 5. This provides easy access for swimmer and kayaker to the start of the Swim. Kayaks can be walked to the bay along a short path on the side of the Parkway. For a view of the area showing the car turn-around and path to the bay, click here .
4. For those of you who cannot get an experienced kayaker, the L.I. Paddlers kayak club has offered its services. Please contact the club's past president, Steve Berner at email@example.com and check out their website http://www.lipaddlers.org/ . They have a limited number of volunteers available
5. Safety Requirements: Each swimmer must have a kayak operator in close proximity. Each kayak operator must have on board:
Fresh water for swimmer and operator(s)
Hand held horn or whistle
Life preservers for swimmer and operator(s)
There will be a swimmer/kayaker meeting Friday July 29, at (tentative) at the Great South Bay YMCA. It must be attended by either the swimmer, the swimmer’s kayaker, or a representative.
The swim is a 5.25 statute mile open water course that finishes at Gilbert Park in Brightwaters (see last year’s course map as the same course will be set this year). It is the swimmer’s and the kayaker’s responsibility to be properly prepared for the physical rigors and navigational challenges that this event presents. It is each swimmer’s responsibility to procure an experienced kayaker with a kayak.
All swimmers should be strong swimmers with open water experience. All kayakers must have strong skills: kayakers should be confident that you can accompany your swimmer the entire distance regardless of conditions. PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR KAYAKER CAREFULLY! Conditions can be more difficult for the kayaker than for the swimmer. Your kayak is your support! Any swimmer who doesn’t have a kayaker will be removed from the course.
For the safety of the swimmers, the event will be considered complete 4 hours after the start. Any swimmer remaining in the water at this time will be picked up by a patrol boat.
*ONCE THE LIMIT IN ENTRIES OR THE CUTOFF DATE IS REACHED, NO MORE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
**Please mail completed applications to:
July 29 Friday
Swimmer/kayaker meeting at
Great South Bay YMCA,
August 4 Thursday
6 -8 pm - Kayak drop off at FI Ferry Ocean Beach
terminal. Maple Avenue,
Assembly Place: Gilbert Park, Brightwaters . There will be one check-in site at the Fire Island Lighthouse Dock. Both Swimmers and Kayakers must check in. Swimmers will be numbered and given caps, and kayakers will be given a numbered shirt.
05:56 am - Sunrise
06:30 am - Shuttle departs from Gilbert Part to FI Ferry Terminal
07:00 am - Ferry leaves OB Terminal for FI Lighthouse Dock
- Check-in for swimmers and kayakers at FI Light. Swimmers to receive numbers and caps, Kayakers receive numbered shirts
- Cutoff for check-in. No late arrivals will be accepted.
08:45 am - Rules briefing for swimmers and kayakers, establish starting line
09:00 am - Start of Swim!
- All swimmers out of the water
1:05 pm - Award ceremony begins (time approximate)
Times are subject to change!
The After-Party will once again be held at Declan Quinn's, . This is located next to the Bayshore Train Station. Parking is plentiful. The party is open to Swimmers, Kayakers, and special guests of The Swim. The food is on us, and it has always been excellent! There is a cash bar. Come join us and share good camaraderie while relaxing and rehydrating.
Please use the Adobe online process to fill out the Application Form.
Click here for the 2011 Sponsorship Form