Instructions for the 2010
Read in Entirety!
There are several changes this year. Please read these in their entirety before beginning the application.
The Swim will take place on Friday, July 30th .
All applicants must be at least 16 years old.
Check-in will be at the
Registration will be closed when we reach this number or on July 9 regardless of the number registered.
Only completed applications will secure a berth. An application is complete when both swimmer and kayaker forms and $50 are received.
Filling out the Application
1. Fill out the application ON LINE, then print and sign, include $50 fee and send to Brightwaters P.O. address listed below.
2. If you and your kayaker are applying separately each must fill out the application ON LINE, download and sign, AND cross-reference one another on the form. The $50 fee is for BOTH the swimmer and the kayaker so only one need include it in the application! The $50 entrance fee will to help cover the expenses of running the swim.
There are no sponsorship requirements, however we suggest a minimum sponsorship level of $500.
1. If you wish to place your kayak on the FI Ferry you must indicate this on the application. The ferry can only accommodate 50 kayaks so it will be on a first come basis. Inflatable kayaks will not be allowed, due to past experience.
Drop off for kayaks using the ferry for transport will be on
Thursday, July 29 between and at the Ocean Beach Terminal,
3. Permission has been granted by the Parks Department for the day of the Swim for drop-off at the turn around at Robert Moses just east of Field 5. This provides easy access for swimmer and kayaker to the start of the Swim. Kayaks can be walked to the bay along a short path on the side of the Parkway. For a view of the area showing the car turn-around and path to the bay, click here .
4. For those of you who cannot get an experienced kayaker, the L.I. Paddlers kayak club has offered its services. Please contact the club's president, Steve Berner at email@example.com and check out their website http://www.lipaddlers.org/ .
There will be a swimmer/kayaker meeting Friday July 23, 7:00 PM (tentative) at the Great South Bay YMCA. It should be attended by either the swimmer, the swimmer’s kayaker, or a representative.
The swim is a 5.25 statute
mile open water course that finishes on the
Check-in Time: 06:15 am
Assembly Place: Gilbert Park, Brightwaters for shuttle to ferry. The Shuttle will leave PROMPTLY at 05:15 am. The ferry will leave PROMPTLY at 05:45 am.
Starting Time: 07:30am
Finishing Point: Gilbert Park, Brightwaters
Length of Swim: 5.25 miles
Eligibility: Any swimmer and kayaker 16 years or older with the ability to safely complete the 5.25 mile course.
All swimmers should be strong swimmers with open water experience. All kayakers should have strong skills: you should be confident that you can accompany your swimmer the entire distance regardless of conditions. PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR KAYAKER CAREFULLY! Conditions can be more difficult for the kayaker than for the swimmer. Your kayak is your support! Any swimmer who doesn’t have a kayaker will be removed from the course. For the safety of the swimmers, the event will be considered complete 4 hours after the start. Any swimmers remaining in the water at this time will be picked up by a patrol boat.
Safety Requirements: Each swimmer must have a kayak or rowboat operator to follow in close proximity. Each boat operator must have on board:
1. Fresh water for swimmer and operator
2. Hand held horn or whistle
3. Two life preservers
*ONCE THE LIMIT IN ENTRIES OR THE CUTOFF DATE IS REACHED, NO MORE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
**Please mail completed applications to:
July 23 Friday 7:00 PM
Swimmer/kayaker meeting at
Great South Bay YMCA,
July 29 Thursday
6 to 8 pm -
Kayak drop off at FI Ferry Ocean Beach terminal.
There will be one check-in site at the Fire Island Lighthouse Dock. Both Swimmers and Kayakers must check in. Swimmers will be numbered and given caps, and kayakers will be given a numbered shirt.
04:45 am - Shuttle departs from Gilbert Part to FI Ferry Terminal
05:15 am - Ferry leaves OB Terminal for FI Lighthouse Dock
- Check-in for swimmers and kayakers at FI Light. Swimmers to receive numbers and caps, Kayakers receive numbered shirts
- Cutoff for check-in. No late arrivals will be accepted.
07:15 am - Rules briefing for swimmers and kayakers, establish starting line
07:30 am - Start of Swim!
Times are subject to change!
The After-Party will be held at Declan Quinn's between 1 and . This is located next to the Bayshore Train Station. Parking is plentiful. The party is open to Swimmers, Kayakers, Volunteers, and special guests of The Swim. The food is on us, and it has always been excellent! There is a cash bar. Come join us and share good camaraderie while relaxing and rehydrating.
Please use the Adobe online process to fill out the Application Form.
Click here for the 2010 Sponsorship Form